The best way to explore the beautiful sceneries of Crete is something that can only truly be done on foot. A stunning diversity of landscape, flora, and fauna make this island a paradise for any type of walker.
The hiking trails around Mirtos are signposted and offer fantastic views to the Lybian sea and the valley of Mirtos.
You can explore:
- old mountain villages like Mithi, Malles and Selakano
- the Minoan settlement
- the Kolektos mountain, a difficult one to climb
- Sarakina gorge, also possible with bit older kids
- the woods in Simi
- the high plateau of Omalos
- Kalami, a deserted village
The best time to walk is in spring because of all the flowering and orchids you can find. Autumn or winter are also good options because in the summer it gets really hot. It is still possible in the summer to walk the woods or early in the morning when the sunshine is not that hot yet.
Guided tours are also possible.